What Are Premium IOLs?
Premium intraocular lenses (IOLs) are new lenses that we implant in the eye after removing your cataracts. IOLs give patients a chance to renew their vision while removing an old, clouded lens. Comparable to your natural lens, IOLs can improve other eyesight problems, like nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), age-related farsightedness (presbyopia), and abnormal corneal shape (astigmatism). Previously, patients only had the choice of monofocal or regular IOLs. With advancements in the eye care industry, we can now offer premium lenses that provide a plethora of benefits, including not having to wear contacts or eyeglasses anymore. At Palm Beach Eye Center, you’ll love the variety of options we offer, such as standard and premium IOLs. If you would like to learn more about your intraocular lens choices, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our Lake Worth, FL ophthalmologist team.
Types of Intraocular Lenses
"I would recommend this eye health center to anyone and family."- C.R. / Google / Sep 16, 2022
"I am a patient of dr . Wall shine and dr. Berish . Excellent appointments always"- M.N. / Google / Aug 19, 2022
"My experience at "Palm Beach Eye Center" with Dr. Jay Wallshein was amazing. I would recommend him to anyone. You leave feeling confident."- K.D. / Google / Aug 05, 2022
"Dr Burger and Dr Wallshein saw me right on time and the visit was quick and efficient. I also worked with the optical manager, Tonia and she went above and beyond to help me choose the right eyewear!"- J.B. / Google / Jul 28, 2022
"Google Internet It is The BEST! very friendly and immediately get done."- D.U. / Google / Jul 18, 2022
Types of IOLs
At Palm Beach Eye Center, our board-certified eye doctors have extensive experience in helping patients select the best types of premium lenses. During a consultation, we will discuss your surgery's ins and outs and develop a strategy for your needs. In addition to an in-depth discussion about your preferences, lifestyle choices, budget, and medical history, your consultation will include an overview of the femtosecond laser technology, which provides safe and effective results during your cataract procedure. Our doctors will take the time you need to discuss the benefits of all our IOL choices so you feel knowledgeable and confident about your selection. We offer:
- Multifocal IOLs: These premium lenses provide a variety of benefits that enhance your range of vision for close, intermediate, and long distances. Patients can select from TECNIS® Multifocal, ReSTOR®, and PanOptix® IOLs. These options may also decrease your astigmatism and reduce your need for glasses.
- Accommodative IOLs: When it comes to your eye, accommodation refers to the natural process that helps your eye muscles adjust the lens to improve ocular performance. Accommodative IOLs mimic this ability so they adjust with the eye and improve visual acuity at multiple distances.
- Extended Range IOLs: This newer lens has increased focus ability that enhances visual clarity in near, middle, and far distances. They work well for patients with presbyopia, and some of the types we offer include TECNIS Symfony™ and ALCON Extended Range IOLs.
- Toric IOLs: These are monofocal but provide patients with another premium option for addressing nearsightedness, farsightedness, and age-related vision loss. We can also offer these options for patients with astigmatism. TECNIS Toric, TECNIS Symfony Toric, and PanOptix Toric Femto. Some patients may need to wear glasses during certain activities with these implants.
- Standard IOLs: Providing comfort and ease, these monofocal implants work well for one focal point. Although you will have clear vision for distance, you may still need glasses for routine activities.
What are the benefits of Premium IOLs?
There are a plethora of advantages to Premium IOLs that go hand in hand with the removal of cataracts. If you have an active lifestyle, premium IOLs can be a good option, as this treatment will reduce your need for glasses. Some of the additional benefits of IOLs include:
- Sharper vision
- Clearer vision at all distances
- Refractive error treatment for astigmatism
- Decrease in sensitivity to light
- Reduction of glare and halos around lights
If you're looking for a way to improve your vision and focus, premium intraocular lenses may be for you. We encourage you to get in touch with our Lake Worth, FL eye specialists to learn more.
Premium IOLs FAQ
How do premium IOLs fix my vision?
They are implanted inside the eye as a replacement for your natural lens. This process is done during cataract surgery or refractive lens exchange surgery. Because it is implanted into the eye, it works naturally as your lens would and fixes whatever vision issue you have. Contact our Palm Beach Eye Center team to learn more about how these lenses will work for you.
How do I know if I can get a premium IOL?
If you are unable to see at multiple distances, you may be a good candidate for this procedure. In addition, if you have astigmatism, these premium intraocular lenses may be able to help correct and reduce this abnormality in the eye.
Will I still have to wear my glasses?
While standard intraocular lens treatment may still require you to wear glasses while performing some daily activities, with premium IOLs, this is not necessary. After this surgery, you won't have to wear your glasses. This procedure is meant to fix multiple vision issues and eliminate your need for reading glasses.
Will my insurance cover the cost of IOLs?
While some procedures may be covered by insurance, it is important to check with your insurance provider. Out-of-pocket costs may be required based on your specific needs. Our team at Palm Beach Eye Center is happy to help you determine any costs necessary before you schedule your appointment.
Improved Vision After Cataract Surgery
If you have suffered from cloudy vision because of cataracts, intraocular lenses can provide multiple benefits that improve your overall comfort and vision. While researching IOL options may seem overwhelming, we want you to know we’ll be with you every step of the way. Please schedule an appointment at Palm Beach Eye Center in Lake Worth, FL or Delray Beach, FL to learn more about how IOLs can enhance your eyesight and well-being. To make it easier for you, we take multiple insurance companies and provide payment plans so you don’t choose between money and having high-quality eyesight.