What Are Premium IOLs?
Premium intraocular lenses (IOLs) are new lenses that we implant in the eye after removing your cataracts. IOLs give patients a chance to renew their vision while removing an old, clouded lens. Comparable to your natural lens, IOLs can improve other eyesight problems, like nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), age-related farsightedness (presbyopia), and abnormal corneal shape (astigmatism). Previously, patients only had the choice of monofocal or regular IOLs. With advancements in the eye care industry, we can now offer premium lenses that provide a plethora of benefits, including not having to wear contacts or eyeglasses anymore. At Palm Beach Eye Center, you’ll love the variety of options we offer, such as standard and premium IOLs. If you would like to learn more about your intraocular lens choices, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our Lake Worth, FL ophthalmologist team.
Types of Intraocular Lenses
"The best experience I have had for my eyes came from Palm Beach Eye Center Delray Beach!!! Dr. Pearlman is the best cataract surgeon in Palm Beach County! I did my research. His staff provided excellent customer service and were very professional. A life changing experience and I could never thank them enough."- F.S. / Google / Feb 16, 2024
"Professional, Courteous, and Through"- M.G. / Google / Feb 15, 2024
"Efficient and well run ophthalmology practice. Highly recommended !"- R.C. / Google / Feb 06, 2024
"Dr Pearlman and Yolanda are the best!"- D.M. / Google / Jan 28, 2024
"Dr Wallshein has always explained very thoroughly any examination. He walked me through a melanoma removal procedure 10 years ago, performed the plastic surgery after the extraction of a temple melanoma by an excellent surgeon he recommended, discovered a mole on my optic nerve and has done cataract surgery on my husband. I would go to no one else. During my last visit the assistant that worked with me said he was the best doctor she has ever worked for. If you find him a bit distant, or have to wait a long time, just remember he sees a lot of patients and he is 100% worth your time and your eyes! He and the office staff are there for you."- M.M. / Healthgrades / Jan 25, 2024
Types of IOLs
At Palm Beach Eye Center, our board-certified eye doctors have extensive experience in helping patients select the best types of premium lenses. During a consultation, we will discuss your surgery's ins and outs and develop a strategy for your needs. In addition to an in-depth discussion about your preferences, lifestyle choices, budget, and medical history, your consultation will include an overview of the femtosecond laser technology, which provides safe and effective results during your cataract procedure. Our doctors will take the time you need to discuss the benefits of all our IOL choices so you feel knowledgeable and confident about your selection. We offer:
- Multifocal IOLs: These premium lenses provide a variety of benefits that enhance your range of vision for close, intermediate, and long distances. Patients can select from TECNIS® Multifocal, ReSTOR®, and PanOptix® IOLs. These options may also decrease your astigmatism and reduce your need for glasses.
- Accommodative IOLs: When it comes to your eye, accommodation refers to the natural process that helps your eye muscles adjust the lens to improve ocular performance. Accommodative IOLs mimic this ability so they adjust with the eye and improve visual acuity at multiple distances.
- Extended Range IOLs: This newer lens has increased focus ability that enhances visual clarity in near, middle, and far distances. They work well for patients with presbyopia, and some of the types we offer include TECNIS Symfony™ and ALCON Extended Range IOLs.
- Toric IOLs: These are monofocal but provide patients with another premium option for addressing nearsightedness, farsightedness, and age-related vision loss. We can also offer these options for patients with astigmatism. TECNIS Toric, TECNIS Symfony Toric, and PanOptix Toric Femto. Some patients may need to wear glasses during certain activities with these implants.
- Standard IOLs: Providing comfort and ease, these monofocal implants work well for one focal point. Although you will have clear vision for distance, you may still need glasses for routine activities.
What are the benefits of Premium IOLs?
There are a plethora of advantages to Premium IOLs that go hand in hand with the removal of cataracts. If you have an active lifestyle, premium IOLs can be a good option, as this treatment will reduce your need for glasses. Some of the additional benefits of IOLs include:
- Sharper vision
- Clearer vision at all distances
- Refractive error treatment for astigmatism
- Decrease in sensitivity to light
- Reduction of glare and halos around lights
If you're looking for a way to improve your vision and focus, premium intraocular lenses may be for you. We encourage you to get in touch with our Lake Worth, FL eye specialists to learn more.
Who Is a Candidate for Premium IOLs?
Patients with cataracts are often considered ideal candidates for this procedure. Good candidates may also be unable to see at multiple distances or have an astigmatism. Premium IOLs can benefit patients with astigmatism by helping correct or reduce the abnormality of the eye. If you are seeking an ophthalmologist to perform a cataract extraction with an intraocular lens implant, contact Palm Beach Eye Center. Our experts can help you determine if premium IOLs are right for you.
What is the treatment process for IOLs?
The treatment process for IOL placement involves a few specific but easy steps. They include the following:
1. Numbing the affected eye and receiving medication for relaxation
2. Making a small incision at the edge of the cornea
3. The breaking of your natural lens and removal bit by bit (you will only feel gentle pressure if anything)
4. Placement of IOL implants (lens gets folded to fit through the incision and placed precisely where your natural lens was)
5. Letting the small cut heal naturally
While you should arrange for a trusted family member or friend to drive you home, you'll be able to leave the office in as little as an hour following your IOL placement.
What Should I Expect After IOL Placement?
Generally speaking, it takes about four weeks to recover after having premium lenses placed. It is normal to experience blurry or distorted vision immediately following your lens replacement surgery. Your eyes may also feel dry or sore and may be sensitive to light. These symptoms will dissipate in a few days as the eyes heal. Eye drops may be prescribed to prevent infection, and it is important to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the eyes. Our team will provide detailed aftercare instructions to optimize healing. If you have any questions about your recovery, please do not hesitate to consult our team.
Premium IOLs FAQ
How do premium IOLs fix my vision?
They are implanted inside the eye as a replacement for your natural lens. This process is done during cataract surgery or refractive lens exchange surgery. Because it is implanted into the eye, it works naturally as your lens would and fixes whatever vision issue you have. Contact our Palm Beach Eye Center team to learn more about how these lenses will work for you.
Will my vision continue to change?
No, premium IOLs will typically stabilize your vision, with the exception of other medical conditions developing. The lens implant should not change or degrade over time.
Will I still have to wear my glasses?
While standard intraocular lens treatment may still require you to wear glasses while performing some daily activities, with premium IOLs, this is not necessary. After this surgery, you won't have to wear your glasses. This procedure is meant to fix multiple vision issues and eliminate your need for reading glasses.
Will my insurance cover the cost of IOLs?
While some procedures may be covered by insurance, it is important to check with your insurance provider. Out-of-pocket costs may be required based on your specific needs. Our team at Palm Beach Eye Center is happy to help you determine any costs necessary before you schedule your appointment.
Improved Vision After Cataract Surgery
If you have suffered from cloudy vision because of cataracts, intraocular lenses can provide multiple benefits that improve your overall comfort and vision. While researching IOL options may seem overwhelming, we want you to know we’ll be with you every step of the way. Please schedule an appointment at Palm Beach Eye Center in Lake Worth, FL or Delray Beach, FL to learn more about how IOLs can enhance your eyesight and well-being. To make it easier for you, we take multiple insurance companies and provide payment plans so you don’t choose between money and having high-quality eyesight.